Kongsberg Digital, part of Norwegian maritime technology group Kongsberg, and Germany’s engine manufacturer MAN Energy Solutions have entered into a strategic digitalisation partnership in an effort…
- New and adjusted services emerging in the shipping industry to enhance service levels and provide added value.
- Digitalization will provide the means to exchange information between the ship agent and the shipbroker in greater detail, and in real-time.
- The emerging landscape of digitalizing maritime operations is proving to be a challenge for them and therefore, must pay attention to new opportunities and ways of doing business.
- However, there lies an opportunity to also provide more enhanced...
Richard Turner, IUMI President
Navigating changing climates: IUMI President, Richard Turner, identifies four key challenges facing marine insurers.
In his keynote address to the International Union of Marine Insurance (IUMI) annual conference, IUMI President, Richard Turner, focused on four areas that are set to exert maximum impact on the marine insurance sector of the future – these were identified as the COVID-19 pandemic, the changing macro-economic and geopolitical situation, climate change...
RINA tests the potential of Digitalisation expansion
Over the last few months RINA has teamed up with the European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) on a pilot project aimed at testing the extension of the data exchange capability of the ‘THETIS’ system.
Currently, Recognised Organisations at EU level are required to enter data about a ship’s certification process, including the location and date of inspections, the type of certificate issued, its date of issue and expiry. This tested new feature in...
Shipping’s main challenge is to use the massive introduction of the digital tools, caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, to accelerate the development of safety solutions.
Digitalisation has probably become one of the most frequently used words in the container shipping lexicon. It includes all the new technologies that aim to increase the efficiency of the shipping processes.
But it remains unclear...
In episode 143 we meet Henrik Hvid Jensen, IT architect, Trustworks A/S, the expert in digitalised trade, who is one of the brains behind TradeLens, an interconnected ecosystem of supply chain partners — cargo owners, ocean and inland carriers, freight forwarders and logistics providers, ports and every entity involved in global trade with digital tools.
Henrik is passionate about getting the entire logistical chain digital since he can see so many benefits from that, he speaks about hidden...
Brad Klaus, Chief Executive Officer of Haven
Pandemic business practices accelerate freight digitalization
PANDEMIC BUSINESS PRACTICES ACCELERATE OCEAN FREIGHT DIGITALIZATION, FINDS HAVEN SURVEY
The coronavirus pandemic is proving a catalyst for shipping digitalization, prompting ocean supply chain stakeholders to abandon manual processes and embrace automated transport management solutions to drive business growth, according to a new survey by Haven Inc.
The survey was unveiled in the latest...
- Automated voyages, pilotage, and docking are being developed.
- They have the potential to improve navigation safety and reduce fuel consumption.
- Wärtsilä Corpcollaborated with HVCC and JIT arrival concept.
- Carnival modified voyages on its cruise ships AidaSol and AidaPerla reducing bunker costs and emissions.
- Wärtsilä NACOS Platinum navigation systems connected directly to HVCC for continuous communications.
- Wärtsilä Navi-Port seamlessly exchanges data between ship and shore under real-life...
The World Ports Sustainability Program (WPSP), part of the International Association of Ports and Harbors (IAPH), has published a Port Community Cyber Security White Paper, which serves as guide to ports gearing up to digitise their business in the wake of […]
In episode 139 you meet Giovanni Colotto, Managing Director, De Poli Tankers BV, a 32-year-old Italian who lives in the Netherlands nowadays. Giovanni wrote me an email asking to become a guest since he wanted to contribute with his knowledge and is ambitious to be part of the change the maritime industry needs.
We discussed a lot about change, NextGen, diversity, visibility, sustainability and leadership, the things I find most interesting to discuss. What are your views on these topics? Do...