SONAR charts check temperature of Shanghai’s ailing supply chain

No matter how “open” the Chinese government has said Shanghai is, the flow of trade is telling otherwise. The reality is quite simple: Shanghai’s supply chain is sick.

The diagnosis is based on the volume of trade being moved and produced. Trade takes people working throughout the entire supply chain. That is not happening.

Below are FreightWaves SONAR charts that take a real-time temperature check on the Shanghai trade route. 

The first shows container dwell time at the Port of Shanghai. Sure,...

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/sonar-charts-check-temperature-of-shanghais-ailing-supply-chain

Ningbo port congestion risk grows amid COVID crackdown

Trucks and containers at a Chinese port.

Loading and discharge of container vessels is proceeding normally at the Port of Ningbo, but backlogs there are in the forecast because lockdown restrictions and mass testing requirements have impacted manufacturing and trucking in the Chinese city. 

The developments underscore how supply chains remain hostage to COVID outbreaks in 2022 and are an uncomfortable reminder of how several positive cases last August led a major marine terminal at the Ningbo port to shut down for nearly two weeks...

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ningbo-port-congestion-risk-grows-amid-covid-crackdown

Shipping disruptions contained as Ningbo port nears reopening

A big vessel tied up at the dock, view from the bow with ropes in the foreground.

Chinese authorities are expected to begin a phased reopening of a container terminal at the massive Port of Ningbo by the end of the week if no further COVID infections are detected. And the overall effects on ocean shipping so far have been less than originally feared, according to logistics and freight data providers monitoring the situation.

Last week’s closure of the Meishan Island Container Terminal after a worker tested positive for the virus put global supply chain managers on edge over a...

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/shipping-disruptions-minimal-as-ningbo-port-nears-reopening

More supply chain delays as Ningbo port congestion worsens

A view from the back of a container vessel entering a port with tall cranes on the dock.

The closure of a critical container terminal at the Port of Ningbo in China because of a COVID infection is having swift ripple effects that are likely to spread worldwide, adding to shipping delays and stretching order lead times as companies try to stock shelves for the holiday shopping season.

As of 4 p.m. Friday, local time, 40 vessels were waiting at anchor for a berth outside Ningbo, and an additional 30 container ships were parked outside the Port of Shanghai, according to Kuehne +...

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/more-supply-chain-delays-as-ningbo-port-congestion-worsens

Ocean container losses topple annual average in 2 months

The World Shipping Council issued an eye-opening report last July. What seemed like a steady stream of vessel fires, capesizes and container losses was in fact a small drop in the global ocean shipping bucket. A WSC study found a tiny fraction, about .0006%,  of the roughly 226 million containers shipped on the world’s oceans each year were lost. 

WSC reported on average only 1,382 containers were lost at sea per year between 2018 and 2019. So what’s going on? Between Nov. 30 and Jan. 31, more...

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ocean-container-losses-topple-annual-average-in-2-months

Court allows APL England captain to leave Australia

The captain charged in connection with the loss of containers from the APL England will be allowed to leave Australia.

The captain, identified by media outlets as 43-year-old Mohamad Zulkhaili Bin Alias, appeared in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday. Australian media reports said the terms of his bail were revised to allow him to return home to Malaysia and work. He previously had been ordered to remain on the container ship at the Port of Brisbane.

The APL England, which has a capacity of...

https://s29755.pcdn.co/news/court-allows-apl-england-captain-to-leave-australia

Scheduled third-quarter sailings sinking

THE Alliance and 2M have canceled 75 sailings scheduled for the third quarter.

In a joint announcement, THE Alliance — Hapag-Lloyd, HMM, Ocean Network Express and Yang Ming — said Wednesday that it will continue to have blanked sailings through September at least. It said while the Asia-North Europe trade has been extraordinarily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, adjusted schedules in all trades will continue in order to match market demand.

Among THE Alliance services affecting U.S. ports,...

https://s29755.pcdn.co/news/blanked

APL England master charged following loss of containers

The master of the APL England has been charged in Australia following the loss of 50 containers from the ship. 

According to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), the master appeared before the Wynnum Magistrates Court on Monday to face two charges related to the loss of the containers:

  • Violation of Section 26F of the Protection of the Sea Act of 1983 prohibiting the discharge of garbage into the sea.
  • Violation of Section 141 of the Navigation Act of 2012. Prosecutors allege the...

https://s29755.pcdn.co/news/apl-england-master-charged-following-loss-of-containers