Biden Announces Nominations for New N9, Naval Surface Forces

Rear Admiral Brendan McLane, Commander, Naval Surface Force Atlantic is piped aboard during a retirement ceremony for Captain Zoah Scheneman on Aug. 12, 2022. U.S. Navy Photo

President Joe Biden has nominated the next deputy chief of naval operations for warfighting requirements and capabilities, the commander of Naval Surface Forces and the deputy commander of U.S. Fleet Forces Command, the Pentagon announced Monday.

Biden nominated Rear Adm. James Pitts to serve as the deputy chief of naval...

https://news.usni.org/2023/04/24/biden-announces-nominations-for-new-n9-naval-surface-forces

SECNAV Del Toro ‘Excited’ About New Landing Ship Mediums

ARLINGTON, Va. – Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro said the Navy and Marines have “got to get the right concept … and design” to move forward with the new Landing Ship Mediums – the vessels projected to augment larger amphibious vessels.

Investing in the new ships did not mean the Navy was pulling back its commitment to larger amphibious warships, Del Toro said Wednesday, speaking at the National Defense Industrial Association Expeditionary Warfare Conference.

There will “probably be more LPDs...

https://news.usni.org/2023/02/22/secnav-del-toro-excited-about-new-landing-ship-mediums

Marine Corps Requirements Call for 9 Light Amphibious Ships per Regiment

SAN DIEGO – The Marine Corps’ latest requirements call for nine smaller amphibious ships per regiment to shuttle Marines and equipment between islands and shorelines, service officials said today.

The service has said for months that it needs 35 Landing Ship Mediums – previously known as the Light Amphibious Warship – for the type of operations it envisions in the Indo-Pacific region. The idea is that the three Marine Littoral Regiments operating in the Indo-Pacific would each have nine LSMs,...

https://news.usni.org/2023/02/14/marine-corps-requirements-call-for-9-light-amphibious-ships-per-regiment

Navy Issues $8M Modification for Overhaul of Cruiser it Plans to Decommission

Dry dock flooding begins for the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser USS Vicksburg (CG-69) departure from BAE Systems Ship Repair dry dock pier on June 10, 2021. US Navy Photo

The Navy on Wednesday issued an $8 million contract modification for the modernization overhaul of a ship it wants to decommission next year.

The service awarded the modification to BAE Systems Ship Repair in Norfolk, Va., “to incorporate a request for a contract change for a 217-day extension for the accomplishment...

https://news.usni.org/2022/05/19/navy-issues-8m-modification-for-overhaul-of-cruiser-it-plans-to-decommission

Navy On Track to Deploy MQ-25A Carrier Tanker in 2026 on USS Theodore Roosevelt

A Boeing unmanned MQ-25A aircraft is given operating directions on the flight deck aboard the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) on Dec. 13, 2021 in the Atlantic Ocean. U.S. Navy Photo

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. – The Navy’s MQ-25A Stingray unmanned aerial refueling is set to deploy on an aircraft carrier in 2026, a service official said on Tuesday.

Vice Adm. Kevin Whitesell told a panel at the Sea Air Space 2022 symposium that the service was on track to reach initial operational...

https://news.usni.org/2022/04/06/navy-on-track-to-deploy-mq-25a-carrier-tanker-in-2026-on-uss-theodore-roosevelt

Navy to Court-Martial Sailor Accused of Arson in 2020 Bonhomme Richard Fire; Hearing Officer Advised No Trial, Says Attorney

USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) sits pier side at Naval Base San Diego on July 16, 2020. US Navy Photo

A junior sailor will be tried at a general court-martial on charges that he intentionally started a fire that grew into a raging blaze in 2020 that burned the former USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) for days, the Navy announced Friday.

The U.S. 3rd Fleet commander, Vice Adm. Stephen Koehler, on Wednesday formally referred two charges – of arson and hazarding a vehicle – against Seaman Recruit Ryan Mays...

https://news.usni.org/2022/02/25/navy-to-court-martial-sailor-accused-of-arson-in-2020-bonhomme-richard-fire-hearing-officer-advised-no-trial-says-attorney

Experts Criticize ATF, Navy Finding on Cause of Bonhomme Richard Fire; Case Against Sailor Pending U.S. 3rd Fleet Decision

A San Diego Federal Fire firefighter rests after combating a fire aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) on July 12, 2020. US Navy Photo

SAN DIEGO – An expert in electrical engineering told a Navy court that an electrical short in a forklift or some faulty batteries could have sparked the fire that ultimately scuttled the former USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), countering the Navy’s acceptance from a federal fire investigation that a disgruntled sailor deliberately set it.

A...

Hearing Begins for Junior Sailor Charged in USS Bonhomme Richard Fire 

Sailors rest after firefighting on the morning of July 13, 2020 aboard USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6). US Navy Photo

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Navy prosecutors will make their case to a military officer this week as to why a junior sailor should be court-martialed on charges that he deliberately set the 2020 fire that eventually gutted former USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) and intentionally put others in danger at Naval Base San Diego.

Seaman Apprentice Ryan S. Mays is charged with willful hazarding of a...

https://news.usni.org/2021/12/13/hearing-begins-for-junior-sailor-charged-in-uss-bonhomme-richard-fire

VIDEO: U.S. 3rd Fleet Change of Command

Adm. Samuel Paparo, commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet, congratulates Vice Adm. Stephen Koehler upon assuming command of U.S. 3rd Fleet during a change of command ceremony on Naval Base Point Loma, June 3, 2021. US Navy Photo

The Navy’s numbered Fleet in the Eastern Pacific has a new commander following a Thursday ceremony, the service announced on Friday.

Vice Adm. Scott Conn passed the leadership of U.S. 3rd Fleet to Vice Adm. Steve Koehler, formerly the deputy commander of U.S. Pacific Fleet, in a...

https://news.usni.org/2021/06/04/video-u-s-3rd-fleet-change-of-command

New Navy Fleet Commanders in Pacific, Middle East Nominated; New Picks for N9, Inspector General

The White House has put forward nominees to lead the Navy’s two fleets in the Pacific and the fleet in the Middle East, as well as the service’s chief requirements officer and inspector general, the Pentagon announced this week.

Vice Adm. Scott D. Conn

Vice Adm. Scott Conn, current commander of U.S. 3rd Fleet, was nominated to be deputy chief of naval operations for warfighting requirements and capabilities (OPNAV N9). The career fighter pilot has served as the head of 3rd Fleet since September...

https://news.usni.org/2021/04/15/new-navy-fleet-commanders-in-pacific-middle-east-nominated-new-picks-for-n9-inspector-general